West Hills Residents – Experience the Virtual Skirball Center Hanukkah Celebration
Stay safe during the Holiday Season in West Hills. SERVPRO can help protect your homes against storm damage
This Celebration is Available Online for All West Hills, CA Residents
There is no reason you have to miss out on Hanukkah celebrations when virtual connections become available in times of social distancing. The Skirball Hanukkah Celebration is not canceled, and you can take part in it from the comfort of your own living room, virtually! This year, the Virtual 2020: Los Angeles – Skirball Hanukkah Celebration brings viewers the Festival of Lights online. This is a real one-of-a-kind event, fully streamed with all of the festivities that you would see in person.
- Date: Sunday, December 13, 2020
- Time: 3:00 pm
- Where: Online via YouTube streaming from the Skirball Cultural Center
- Cost: Free
Be sure to join just before the streaming event for Hanukkah Show and Tell from 2:30 pm to 3:00 pm.
The holiday season is for bringing everyone together, even when we have to remain apart due to the need for social distancing. If you find that you have fire damage cleanup needs after an emergency in your home, the team at SERVPRO of Canoga Park/West Hills is here to help. Call us at (818) 998-1500, and we will send out a crew as soon as possible to get started.
Canoga Park Business Professionals – Weekly Beach Café Lunch Meetup
SERVPRO suggests to storm-damaged Canoga Park clients, check out the AIMCP virtual visit for a better networking experience.
The IAMCP Invites You to a Weekly Meetup in Canoga Park During Lunch Hours
Meeting up with other local business professionals in Canoga Park, CA, is the perfect way to network. These connections are even better when lunch is involved, even virtually. Due to local social distancing guidelines, weekly virtual meetups in the area have become the ultimate way to eat your lunch while enjoying the chance to talk with other International Association of Microsoft Channel Partners (IAMCP) chapter members. This is a weekly event taking place online on Tuesdays, so you have multiple chances to join in!
- Date: Tuesday, December 1st, 2020 (and every Tuesday following)
- Time: 11:30 am to 1:00 pm
- Where: Virtually
- Cost: Free
If you cannot meet on December 1st, this is a recurring event that you can take advantage of on a Tuesday lunch break when your schedule allows.
Networking and communicating with business owners and homeowners alike in the area is vital to our crew at SERVPRO of Canoga Park/West Hills. If you need reliable water restoration at your home, you can reach our skilled IICRC-certified technicians by calling (818) 998-1500. We arrive quickly to get to work so that your interior will be “Like it never even happened.”
Why Call for Skilled Assistance after Storms Rage Through the Canoga Park Region?
When stormy weather threatens to close down your local Canoga Park H.S.--call SERVPRO!
SERVPRO Meticulously Executes Stormwater Removal, Leaving No Stone Unturned, to Restore Your Canoga Park Property to Pre-Loss Condition
Originally a town by the name of Owensmouth, Canoga Park got its start amidst San Fernando Valley barley fields. This settlement was founded back in 1912 and later became Canoga Park in 1931. Little did everyone know that this was the first step into turning this small portion of farmland into rapidly growing suburbia.
For many decades, the location of Owensmouth/Canoga Park is what kept it from becoming developed. Additionally, many of the landholders wanted to ensure that the land was preserved for mainly agricultural use throughout the area. Even while suburban settlements like Burbank and Calabasas took hold, ranches along with fields of orchards and wheat prevailed.
When the first decade of the 20th Century came to a close, the climate changed, and along with it came the popularity of automobiles and electric railways. This was when everything started moving fast, thus putting Canoga Park on the map with population and business growth.
Canoga Park, CA, Today
Nestled amidst the stunning western region of the San Fernando Valley, Canoga Park is a unique and diverse neighborhood. Taking a look at the landscape, you will find a broad range of ranch-style, modest homes with a few developments, condos, and living communities. The town boasts a variety of affordable restaurants catering to many tastes, including everything from Vietnamese or Italian cuisine to Mexican, Thai, burgers, bakeries, and more.
Some of the top restaurants located within Canoga Park include:
- Dog Haus: Situated on Topanga Canyon Boulevard, this is a locally owned and operated eatery offering the best burgers and hot dogs in the area. Locals and travelers alike will enjoy this restaurant for the fast-paced ordering, outdoor seating, and takeout.
- Broad Street Oyster Company: If you are looking for delectable seafood, this restaurant on Pacific Coast Highway is a stellar choice. You cannot only hire this team for catering, but you will also have a menu loaded with just about any seafood concoction you can imagine.
- New York Chicken & Gyro: When you are craving halal or Mediterranean cuisine, then New York Chicken & Gyro on Topanga Canyon Boulevard is a must. This establishment is family owned and operated, including options for takeout, delivery, and plenty of outdoor seating to enjoy the local climate.
- Oi Asian Fusion: This Filipino Asian fusion restaurant destination can be found on Canoga Ave. The menu overflows with everything from their famous Dynamite Fries to the must-try Oi Burger.
Must-See Shopping and Attractions Around Canoga Park, CA
Each city is unique when it comes to hidden gems and sightseeing options, with Canoga Park being no exception. Not only is the landscape stunning throughout the region, but it is also ripe with great places to browse and shop when you are in the area. Some of the top sites to see when exploring the town include:
- Westfield Topanga & The Village: This is an upscale shopping destination known for its inviting, clean ambiance. Whether you are looking to catch a movie, check out exciting shops, or have a bite to eat, there is something here for everyone.
- Sherman Way: Known as the "main street" in Canoga Park, this historic downtown area remains the community's hub. Here, you will find social and cultural offerings, vibrant businesses, antique shops, restaurants, live entertainment, and more. This street is also where you will find the Walk of Hearts, which includes beautiful bronze hearts that have been melded into the sidewalk as a way to offer recognition to local teachers.
- Canoga Park Chamber of Commerce: Established back in 1912, this is one of the oldest chambers within Los Angeles. This local Chamber of Commerce has worked through the years to ensure the ideals and quality of life for the residents and businesses alike are well tended-to.
Canoga Park, CA, Weather and Climate History
As with many areas throughout the beautiful state of California, many people like to visit or move to Canoga Park for the incredible climate. This is a region that sees an average of 200 to 375 hours of sunshine each month throughout the calendar year. The temperatures range from mild to moderate, with some hotter months in the year. Taking a look at precipitation, there is an average of less than eight rainy days each month. However, there is a history of severe storms in the area that bring on flooding and substantial storm damage. Whenever a storm brings significant rain and wind, it is vital for all local businesses and homeowners alike to have ample means for cleanup and stormwater removal. This is where skilled restoration technicians can help with rapid action, fast extraction, and detailed cleaning and sanitizing.
Why Look to SERVPRO of Canoga Park/West Hills for Removal of Water After a Storm?
Not Only Can Canoga Park, CA, Residents Count on Rapid Stormwater Removal, but SERVPRO Also Implements Industry-Proven Drying Methods for Best Results
Nobody expects that a storm will leave their interior with immense flooding and the potential for costly damage. However, being prepared will reduce the blow, which means having skilled cleanup technicians to handle the job. SERVPRO can come to your Canoga Park property to assess the water, taking the time to test for contamination. This allows us the best path to proceed with careful cleanup and drying methods to ensure everything is, "Like it never even happened."
When called for rapid stormwater removal in Canoga Park, we utilize commercial-grade extractors and pumps to pull out as much standing water as possible. From there, we use different techniques to ensure relative humidity gets restored to normal levels and no hidden moisture pockets get left behind.
- We calibrate our meters and sensors to the materials, such as drywall and wood, to measure for moisture.
- Extraction may take multiple passes, but our crews work to minimize the impact of secondary damage, taking the time to adjust as we go.
- All tools get selected based on several factors, such as the moisture present and the space affected within your home.
For prompt, reliable results when you require stormwater removal, count on the skilled technicians at SERVPRO of Canoga Park/West Hills. With one call to (818) 998-1500, we send out a team to begin extraction and drying so that your interior gets back to preloss condition faster.
Visit Candy Cane Lane Near Canoga Park
We are excited to see the city light up with Christmas lights.
Canoga Park is Five Minutes from Candy Cane Lane Christmas Lights
Homeowners in the Woodland Hills area have embraced the Christmas spirit. They install thousands of lights for all to enjoy in a variety of colorful displays. The displays include:
- Entire homes decorated with lights
- Lifesize Santa’s
- Decorated Christmas trees
- Santa’s sleigh and reindeer
- Trains full of gifts
- Elves and snowmen
- Polar bears and much more
Eight blocks in Lubao and Oxnard streets have been getting into the Christmas spirit for the past 60 years. Everyone should see this impressive display. Candy Cane lane opens mid-December. The lights go on approximately 6 pm on opening night with Christmas music to celebrate the season. The lights are on display until Christmas eve. The street is closed to vehicles allowing everyone to stroll along the road safely while enjoying the show.
SERVPRO of Canoga Park / West Hills provides professional fire and smoke restoration services to Canoga Park residential, business customers, and the surrounding area. Call (818) 998-1500. We are available 24/7 to help with all fire damage restoration needs.
Where Can Owners Get Mold Safely Removed from Their Canoga Park Homes?
Removing mold from your home needs to be done quickly and safely. Contact SERVPRO 24/7 for professional remediation and mitigation services.
For Safe, Professional Removal, Canoga Park Residents Call SERVPRO
Why Do Homeowners Need SERVPRO to Eliminate Mold?
Why SERVPRO for Canoga Park? It’s not just that We’re Faster to Any Size Disaster, it is also the level of expertise and the extensive inventory of cleaning agents and equipment our technicians bring to every home. Our technicians follow the guidelines set out by the industry’s Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) and carefully adhere to the state safety requirements.
What Methods Do Technicians Use?
To start mold removal in Canoga Park, our technicians use several methods:
- Vacuuming and Wiping – Dry and settled spores often mix with dust. Technicians remove most of these spores with a vacuum and a HEPA filter designed to catch loose spores for disposal. For small or difficult to reach areas, they use a dry sponge. If the mold layer is thick, they may apply water or a mild, anti-bacterial cleaner.
- Agitation – For thick, sticky layers of mold, technicians need to break up the mold for removal. They can use brushes with or without a cleaning agent, scrapers, and even powered agitation devices, making certain not to harm the surface being cleaned
- Demolition – In some cases, mold hyphae penetrate property, like wall and ceiling panels, too deeply and have compromised the structural integrity. Technicians carefully break down this material and bag it for safe removal from the home without accidentally spreading mold throughout the residence.
Is There Anything Else Homeowners Need to Worry About When It Comes to Mold?
Active mold can cause health problems for some people. Since we cannot remove all mold from any home, SERVPRO concentrates its efforts on the effects that active spores have on the residential and structural property.
For more information about SERVPRO of Canoga Park / West Hills, IICRC guidelines, or anything else about restoring your home here or in Winnetka, call us today at (818) 998-1500. We are here to make a mold infestation “Like it never even happened.”
Click here for more information about Canoga Park.
Are Flood Damages Reversible for Residential Properties?
Canoga Park Homeowners Know to Call SERVPRO for Flood Damage Mitigation--We Strive to Restore and Not Replace, Like this Photo!
SERVPRO Flood Damage Recovery Teams Can Return your Canoga Park Home to a Pre-loss Condition After Natural Disasters.
A large weather event can cause flooding of your Canoga Park home. While most flooding situations that we come across result from burst water pipes or broken appliances, natural disasters can also lead to floodwater intrusion for residents. When dealing with flood losses, the two crucial factors are the amount of water entering the building and that water source. Generally, storm-related losses involve hundreds, if not thousands, of gallons of water entering a property. In the case of flash flooding, this water may contain massive contamination, dangerous to human health. We recommend that you avoid contact with flooded areas of the property and contact a local restoration service like SERVPRO as soon as possible to reduce losses.
What are black water impacts, and how do they affect loss recovery after a natural disaster?
The impact of flood damage in your Canoga Park home is usually calculated based on the category of water contamination. Blackwater, which is also known as category three water, is unsanitary water. Floods may carry silt and debris into your home alongside human pathogens or chemicals like pesticides. The dangerous nature of blackwater makes it necessary to perform the replacement of porous materials in your home. These materials could include carpets, textiles, and light-weight parts of a structure's building assembly like drywall. Some expensive fabrics in the home may be restorable even after black water exposure using advanced cleaning equipment. However, cheaper materials are replaced to avoid disease or other contamination remaining in the house after a flood.
How are high-value rugs cleaned after black water exposure?
- Mechanical cleaning takes place using an Esporta washing machine to remove up to 99% of contaminants.
- The material is treated with a powerful biocide cleaning agent to remove any harmful bacteria or viruses.
- An industrial hygienist, if required, inspects the clean, dry rug to confirm that it is safe to reuse
Are hard-woods non-salvageable after exposure to black water?
Often expensive, resilient materials such as hardwood are recoverable from high-level water exposure. The cost of replacing these materials and the working hours required to reconstruct parts of the home far outweighs the cost of restoring these pieces of structure. Hardwoods are frequently saveable because they can handle powerful cleaning agents, biocides, disinfectants, and bleaches. SERVPRO can often recover these materials through careful cleaning and drying- even during black water emergencies. We operate quickly to save floor finishes as well as building framing. The less time a semi-porous material is exposed to black water, the less damage it takes on. Working quickly to dry these items is critical to the mitigation of losses in your home.
What types of harm does water exposure cause to hardwood?
- Warping or buckling occurs as wood expands from absorbing excessive quantities of moisture. You may see pressure at the joints, and, in some cases, buckling becomes permanent after drying.
- Cupping creates a concave shape from wooden materials and results from water exposure from the sides or back. It is often possible to sand floorboards and remove cupping.
- Crowning occurs when water exposure warps wood into a convex shape and creating an arch. Crowning can happen when drying efforts are too aggressive and typically cannot be sanded out.
How do water technicians control hardwood floor losses?
Monitoring is an essential technique when dealing with valuable materials like hardwood floors. The monitoring process uses equipment like thermal hygroscopes, moisture sensors, and probes to regularly assess solid materials' moisture content. Some losses can occur as a direct result of over-drying, such as crowning. To avoid these types of losses, SERVPRO technicians ensure that woods return to their natural moisture content of around 12% without letting the materials dry out too much. Restoring floors can take months, but with careful measurements and techniques, we can return them to a preloss condition, often by sanding and refinishing the damaged materials.
What happens to wood products like particleboard after water exposure?
- Materials held together by glue can often be non-salvageable as water exposure wears away the adhesive causing the ply to fall apart.
- To restore wood materials, the wettest point must be within 4% of its natural moisture content.
- Delamination of wood products can lead to disintegration and usually require professional replacement.
Flooding can lead to vast amounts of water exposure in your home. This exposure can include harmful substances, which may require extensive disinfectant and replacement of affected materials. Contact SERVPRO of Canoga Park / West Hills at (818) 998-1500.
Do Commercial Businesses Have to Use the Restoration Company Recommended by the Insurance Company?
We are equipped to handle any scope of water damage to your business. Call us today!
Every Minute a Water Damaged Business in Canoga Park is not Operating Means a Potential Loss in Revenues and Higher Expenses
Whenever there is water damage in Canoga Park business buildings, most business owners want to immediately clean up the damage. Partnering with professional restoration companies is essential to this process.
SERVPRO has more than 20 years of water damage restoration experience in Canoga Park and surrounding areas. We have worked with all insurance companies over the years and have an excellent reputation with them. Clients have the freedom to hire whatever company they prefer. Our clients know they can depend on us:
- Onsite in less than four hours
- Over 20 years of experience
- Exceptional working relationships with all insurance companies and adjusters
- Twenty-four / seven availability and dedication to focus on returning to normal business operations as soon as possible.
We have the equipment, the experience, and the trained resources to manage any water damage situation, regardless of the size.
Does the Insurance Adjuster Need to be Onsite Before Starting Cleanup?
The insurance adjuster may not arrive onsite for a few hours or even not until the next day. Many insurance policies require policyholders to do whatever they can to prevent additional water damage to the structure and contents. Reducing further damage is in the best interest of the business owner. General steps that every client should consider include:
- Turn off or stop the source of the water.
- Make sure it is safe to enter the area.
- Call your insurance company, confirm coverage, and obtain a claim number.
- They may provide names of several water restoration companies to call.
- Call SERVPRO. We can be there in less than four hours.
- Take lots of pictures to confirm the damage.
Many clients begin moving items out of the area. Just do not throw anything out until the adjuster has completed their assessment.
Our team can assist with all of these steps and return your business to normal operations quickly. Call SERVPRO of Canoga Park / West Hills (818) 998-1500 to assist with your business's water damage restoration.
How Do Professionals Remove Soot and Smoke Residues from Ceilings?
SERVPRO Says Let Us Clean the Sooty Deposits from Your Canoga Park Home after a Fire, "Like it never even happened."
Residents of Canoga Park Often Choose Professional Fire Restoration Technicians to Perform Cleaning and Odor Control after a Housefire.
Is it safe to clean fire damage myself?
Once a fire marshall clears your Canoga Park property for safe entry, you can re-enter and perform light-cleaning duties. The main risk of performing fire restoration by yourself is spreading around soot or smoke residues and maintaining safety in the structure. While most noxious fire gases disperse within the first few hours, small debris or soots inhaled or ingested can have health effects. Professional technicians have both the necessary skills to identify different types of smoke residue and the correct personal protective equipment (PPE) to perform the task. Often, identifying the types of smoke residue can be a massive help in restoring walls or ceilings.
What light-cleaning can I do in a fire-damaged property?
- Open windows to provide natural ventilation of the area
- Cover items or surfaces, especially carpets, with sheets or other barriers
- Perform light vacuuming of surfaces
Why do experts vacuum properties with fire damage?
When you use a fire restoration expert in Canoga Park, you may notice them using vacuums in the property during the early stages. Soiling on walls can often be a composite of different smoke residues. Vacuuming surfaces help to dislodge and remove dry smoke residues from the body. By performing light-vacuuming of an area, we can guard against spreading or setting soots by introducing water. A SERVPRO technician can remove dry soot relatively easily. However, for wet soots, there is a decision-making process that requires testing and a range of oil-based or water-based cleaning methods.
What cleaning products are used during fire restoration?
- Oil-based solvent chemicals
- Water-based solvents and detergents
- Deodorant chemicals to mask or eliminate odors
If a housefire covers your property in smoke or soot residues, contact SERVPRO of Canoga Park / West Hills at (818) 998-1500 now.
How Does Flooding Impact Local Cell Phone Service in Canoga Park?
Our technicians follow standards set by the IICRC and OSHA. Contact us when facing flooding, regardless of the source.
SERVPRO Technicians Remove Flood Damage from Canoga Park Homes to Return Them to Pre-Loss States
According to recent data from the Brooklyn nonprofit First Street, as many as 14.6 million homes in the United States today are at risk of flooding. While FEMA maps offer a great deal of insight into where flooding is most likely to affect residents, these maps provide somewhat broad data on floodplains in 87% of the country. Canoga Park residents may be surprised to find that a whopping one in five homeowners in Florida and Louisiana alone are at risk of flooding affecting their property.
If your Canoga Park home experiences flood damage, you can call SERVPRO at any time of the day or night to begin the mitigation process. SERVPRO’s commitment to staff education and the use of both tried-and-true techniques in tandem with sophisticated technologies strives to minimize property and structural loss while maximizing savings on repair and replacement expenses.
How Does SERVPRO Training Prepare Professionals for Flood Damage Cleanup?
SERVPRO technicians, staff, and franchise owners alike undergo extensive training and certification to ensure that services rendered are up to date with restoration industry cleanup techniques and standards. Staff must also meet SERVPRO training standards to ensure a consistently high standard of mitigation and restoration.
SERVPRO’s training and education resources include the following:
- Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) Training and Certification for staff.
- Employee Certification Training in such subjects as fire and water damage restoration.
- Initial Franchise Training at SERVPRO’s Corporate Training Facility, targeted at new franchise owners.
- Continued Education Classes that provide both credit and noncredit learning opportunities for SERVPRO staff as well as insurance and real estate professionals.
- E-Learning opportunities that continually test and improve staff knowledge while encouraging self-paced coaching and study of restoration industry subjects.
What are Some Tips for Using Cell Phones During a Flood Damage Situation?
While SERVPRO can take care of the flood damage on your Canoga Park property, it is crucial to know how to stay in touch with the communities and emergency services as needed during a flood or related natural disaster.
- Text whenever possible instead of making calls. Not only do text messages require less battery power and data to transmit, but they can still be sent even when your cell phone signal is weak, and Internet access is limited.
- Expect cell network congestion. In a flood or other emergency, many customers are going to be making a much higher number of phone calls than usual, which can create difficulties in making phone calls or accessing your phone network.
If you need to make a call and notice you have a slow dial tone on a landline or you see rapid busy signals on your cell phone, hang up and try again after several seconds minimum. Avoid non-emergency phone calls during this time to minimize network congestion.
- Limit social media usage. While social media is an excellent tool for keeping family and friends informed during an emergency, some users may be compelled to use it to attempt to get in touch with emergency services, as was the case during Hurricane Harvey in 2017. However, first responders cannot monitor social media to such an extensive degree. If you need emergency services, give them a call.
Some social media sites, like Facebook and Instagram, can also take up a considerable amount of battery power quickly on phones, tablets, and laptops. Use these apps and sites sparingly to let your loved ones know you are safe and focus on conserving battery life if you are unsure when your Canoga Park property’s power can be restored.
What Types of Services is SERVPRO Licensed to Render?
Your local SERVPRO sports a variety of accreditations to maximize the number of services available for structural and contents restoration. Technician certifications include the following:
- Applied Microbial Remediation
- Applied Structural Drying
- Water Damage Restoration
These services are the backbone of addressing flood damage concerns, including mold growth, structural damage to subfloors and drywall, and safely removing moisture with industrial-grade air movement and dehumidification equipment. SERVPRO technicians also provide odor control services to remove flood debris and water damage related odors from your Canoga Park home.
On top of these technician certifications, SERVPRO is an Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) certified firm with additional certification in General and/or Construction Industry Training as provided by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
SERVPRO of Canoga Park / West Hills keeps disaster-affected homes looking, “Like it never even happened.” Call (818) 998-1500 for professional cleanup services.
How Do I Make Sure My Ceiling Does Not Collapse after a Water Leak?
SERVPRO may salvage wet insulation in your Canoga Park attic or crawlspace with swift water extraction and drying.
SERVPRO Takes Safety Precautions While Restoring Water Damaged Materials in Your Canoga Park Home
An upstairs bathroom leak that goes unnoticed can seep through the ceiling, potentially causing further damage to your Canoga Park property. It is essential first to make sure you stop the leak, to mitigate further harm. Then, while you wait for the professionals at SERVPRO to arrive, you should stay clear of the area for safety reasons. You may want to move or cover furniture for additional protection against further leaking. Don't! Stay safe and let us move or cover the furnishings. Technicians cut around the damaged drywall to expose the cavity, enabling the drying process.
Does Moisture Impact Insulation Above the Drywall?
SERVPRO Determines the Salvageability of Your Drywall
While undergoing the water damage restoration project for your Canoga Park home, our trained SERVPRO professionals typically remove insulation along with the hanging building material comprising the ceiling. When trapped, moisture can foster mold growth within your insulation and the ceiling cavity. Additionally, moisture lessons the insulating properties, making it less likely to insulate your home correctly.
What types of Insulation may be in my attic crawlspace?
- Fiberglass: More durable than cellulose and rockwall, but if vapor barriers become damaged, moisture may get in and increase the risk of mold growth.
- Cellulose: Usually becomes matted when wet, rendering it ineffective. It also lessens fire resistance and anti-microbial properties.
- Rockwool: It also becomes matted and loses effectiveness. Besides, the metal components may rust.
Regardless of the type of insulation in your ceiling, the ceiling cavity should be emptied for adequate drying procedures. Technicians extract the moisture using portable vacs with hoses, and then actively dry the cavity with directed airflow. After they measure moisture levels to ensure they are at the proper preloss levels, technicians begin the replacement of insulation and hang new drywall panels. We make it, "Like it never even happened."
For 24/7 assistance with water damage, contact SERVPRO of Canoga Park / West Hills at (818) 998-1500.